If you enjoy wine, one of the best things about dining out is being able to order it with your meal. However, knowing which wines to choose can be tricky. Here are some helpful tips for ordering wine at a restaurant.
Quick Article Navigation
- Do your research
- Know The Types Of Wine
- Don’t Be Afraid To Ask Questions
- Know The Sizes Of Wine Bottles
- Choose The Right Wine For Your Meal
- Ordering Wine By The Glass
- Don’t Be Afraid To Ask For a Taste
- Know Your Price Limit
- The Best Wines For Beginners
- What kind of wine should I order at a restaurant?
- What if I don’t know anything about wine?
- How much should I spend on wine?
- What if the wine is served too cold or too warm?
- What are some good wines for beginners?
- I’m ordering wine for a group. How do I make sure everyone gets what they want?
- How do I order wine at a restaurant without looking clueless?
- Final Words
Do your research
Before you even go to a restaurant, do some research on the wines they serve. Look for a wine list online, or take a look at some wine rating websites to get an idea of what kinds of wines the restaurant offers. This way, you’ll have a general idea of what you’re looking for when you get to the restaurant.
Know The Types Of Wine
When ordering wine at a restaurant, it’s essential to be familiar with the different types of wine. There are the most common types of wine: red wine and white wine. Within those categories, there are dry wines and sweet wines.
Red wines are made from grapes that have been fermented with their skins on, which gives them their characteristic color. Some famous red wines include Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, and Pinot Noir.
White wines are made from grapes that have been fermented without their skins, which gives them their characteristic color. Some famous white wines include Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, and Riesling.
Dry wines have been fermented until all the sugar has been converted to alcohol. They are typically lighter in body and flavor than sweet wines.
Sweet wines have been fermented until a certain amount of sugar remains, resulting in a sweeter wine. Sweet wines can be further classified as dessert wines or fortified wines.
Dessert wines are made from grapes that have been specially chosen for their sweetness, and they are often served with dessert.
Fortified wines are made by adding a spirit, such as brandy or sherry, to the wine. This makes them stronger and sweeter than regular wines.
Don’t Be Afraid To Ask Questions
When ordering wine at a restaurant, you may have some questions. That’s perfectly normal! Don’t be afraid to ask the server or the sommelier for help. Here are some common questions you may want to ask:
- What is this wine made from?
- How much does this wine cost?
- What does this wine taste like?
- How old is this wine?
- Is this a dry or sweet wine?
Know The Sizes Of Wine Bottles
When ordering wine at a restaurant, you need to know the different bottle sizes. The most common bottle sizes are glasses, half bottles, and full bottles:
- Glasses are the smallest wine bottle size, and they typically contain between 125 and 175 ml of wine.
- Half bottles are larger than glasses, containing between 250 and 375 ml of wine.
- Full bottles are the largest wine bottle, containing 750 ml of wine.
Choose The Right Wine For Your Meal
When ordering wine at a restaurant, choosing the right wine for your meal is essential. If you’re ordering a spicy dish, for example, you’ll want to select a red wine that will pair well with the spices. If you’re ordering a sweet dish, on the other hand, you’ll want to choose a sweet white wine.
Another thing to consider when choosing a wine is the food’s texture. Heavier dishes pair well with richer wines, while lighter dishes pair well with lighter wines.
Finally, remember that not all wines are created equal. Some wines are better suited for certain meals than others. So don’t be afraid to ask your server for advice when choosing a wine to go with your meal.
Ordering Wine By The Glass
If you’re not sure what type of wine you want, or if you’re going to try a few different types before deciding, ordering wine by the glass is a good option. Most restaurants have a wide selection of wines available by the glass so that you can find the perfect one for your meal.
Don’t Be Afraid To Ask For a Taste
When ordering wine by the glass, don’t be afraid to ask for a taste. This way, you can make sure the wine is right for you before you order a whole glass.
Know Your Price Limit
When ordering wine at a restaurant, it’s essential to set a budget and stick to it. You don’t want to spend too much on wine when you could be spending that money on dinner instead. Decide how much you’re willing to pay and stick to it.
The Best Wines For Beginners
If you’re just starting out in the world of wine, it can be tricky to know which wines are the best for beginners. But don’t worry – we’ve got you covered! Here are some of the best wines for beginners:
- Pinot Grigio: This light and refreshing white wine is an excellent choice for beginners. It’s easy to drink and goes well with a variety of foods.
- Chardonnay: Another light and refreshing white wine. Chardonnay is an excellent option for those who are just starting. It has a sweet flavor that most people enjoy and pairs well with various dishes.
- Merlot: A medium-bodied red wine is an excellent option for beginners. It has a smooth taste that’s easy to drink and goes well with various dishes.
- Cabernet Sauvignon: A full-bodied red wine, Cabernet Sauvignon is perfect for those who are looking for something more robust. It has a strong flavor that can stand up to heavier dishes and pairs well with various foods.
What kind of wine should I order at a restaurant?
When ordering wine at a restaurant, it’s essential to consider the food you’re ordering. For example, if you’re ordering a heavy dish, you’ll want a richer wine to go with it. And if you’re ordering something light, you’ll want a lighter wine.
What if I don’t know anything about wine?
That’s OK! Not everyone does. Just let the sommelier know that you’re not familiar with wine and need some help. They’ll be happy to recommend something for you.
How much should I spend on wine?
It’s up to you, but remember that it’s usually best to order by the glass if you’re unsure about what you want. That way, you won’t spend too much on a bottle of wine that you might not like.
What if the wine is served too cold or too warm?
If your wine is too cold, you can ask the sommelier to bring it to room temperature. If it’s too warm, you might want to send it back and order another one.
What are some good wines for beginners?
If you’re just starting, it’s a good idea to order wine by the glass. That way, you can try a few different kinds without spending too much money. Some good options include Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Noir, and Cabernet Sauvignon.
I’m ordering wine for a group. How do I make sure everyone gets what they want?
You can either order several different wines or let people choose their own. If you go with the latter option, be sure to have a few bottles of each type of wine on hand so that there’s something for everyone.
How do I order wine at a restaurant without looking clueless?
Just let the sommelier know that you’re not familiar with wine and need some help. They’ll be happy to recommend something for you. And if you’re ordering wine for a group, be sure to let them know so they can make sure everyone gets what they want.
Ordering wine at a restaurant can be tricky, but ordering by the glass is an easy way to ensure you get what you want. If you’re unsure about which wines go best with certain foods or are just starting in the world of wine, let your waiter know, and they’ll help guide you through the ordering process. Remember that ordering by the glass doesn’t mean ordering one kind of wine- it usually means ordering several different ones, so there’s something for everyone. And if all else fails, don’t worry! You can always ask your sommelier for assistance when ordering a bottle of vino from their extensive selection.